The version of the Air Direct Utility (ADU) linked below has been developed to be compatible with tethering software already running on MacOS Catalina. If you are currently running MacOS High Sierra or MacOS Mojave, we do not recommend participating in the Beta at this time. See FAQs below before downloading and installing the software.
- Download the software linked above.
- Follow the instructions to install the ADU on your computer. A firmware update will be required on your Air Direct unit. Please make sure you have a fully charged battery prior to proceeding or are using the DC input for power.
- Once installed, we recommend restarting your computer.
Air Direct Catalina Beta FAQs
- LiveView compatibility issues on Capture One with certain Sony Models. Users of certain Sony cameras have noted compatibility issues when attempting to use LiveView in Capture One. We’re actively working to correct this issue. If, as a Beta user, LiveView is critical to your current workflow, we suggest using the free Sony Imaging Edge software or sign up for a free trial of Smart Shooter 4.
Why did Air Direct work with Smart Shooter 4 on macOS Catalina, but not other tethering software like Capture One or Adobe Lightroom?
Smart Shooter 4 was built with a different development method in how it communicates to the macOS Kernel, essentially the core components of the operating system infrastructure. In the case of Air Direct, the way Smart Shooter 4 communicates with the operating system was not impacted by the platform changes implemented by Apple.
When I install the Beta ADU, I get error messages saying the driver isn’t supported and that I should contact the provider. Do I need to take any action?
No action is necessary. We are aware of the messages and they are related to remaining development that will be needed before releasing the fully updated ADU. Those messages will only appear initially and will not impact your ability to participate in the Beta. We wanted to release the Beta to the market for those customers who want to be tethering wirelessly with Air Direct now.
Duration of the Beta will be dictated by development timelines. We don’t have an exact date currently but will continue to communicate to participants about progress or changes related to the Beta.
What if I participate in the Beta and then decide to revert to the other previously released product?
Follow these steps to revert your ADU to the previous version:
- Uninstall the Air Direct Utility Beta.
- Restart your computer.
- Navigate to www.TetherTools.com/ADU and download the appropriate ADU.
- Install the ADU and follow the steps to update the Air Direct device’s firmware.
I want to participate in the Beta but occasionally use a WIN system, like a Surface Tablet, to Tether. Is the Beta compatible for both?
For this situation, please download and install a Beta WIN ADU version linked here.