Nikon designed a few different WT (Wireless Transmitter) and WU (Wireless Unit) devices to provide an enhanced user experience of tethering ability, improve mobility and on-the-go photography.
Linking into an FTP can really change how pro photographers do business. Images shot can immediately be sent wirelessly to an FTP folder allowing individuals, with granted access to the folder, anywhere in the world instant use of those images for play-by-play updates, social media announcements and more. The client can now easily collaborate in real-time instead of having to wait for a session break and for images to be uploaded and emailed for review.
Current Wireless Transmitters & Wireless Units Available for Nikon Cameras:
*NOTE: The WT-5A, when connected to the UT-1 Communication Unit, can be connected to the D810, D800, D800E or D7000 D-SLRs. The UT-1 can store up to nine host and server profiles.
**NOTE: To use the UT-1 with a D7100, use the UC-E6 USB cable, which is provided with the camera, to connect the UT-1 with the D7100.
- 1 AW1
- 1 S1
- 1 J3
- 1 V2
- COOLPIX P530
- COOLPIX P7800
- COOLPIX P330
- COOLPIX A
- COOLPIX P520
Image Transmission Mode:
- WT-5A: Transmit images to an FTP server or computer two times faster than the Nikon WT-4A.
- WT-4A: Images stored in a memory card and those just taken can be transferred and saved on a computer or FTP server. Ad-hoc mode enables peer-to-peer connection of a WT-4A and a computer or FTP server. Infrastructure mode enables connection via an access point.
Transmission Range: Transmission range when wireless LAN is used is approx. 590 feet (IEEE 802.11b/g) or 850 feet (IEEE 802.11a). (Varies according to transmission conditions.
Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 (optional): Camera settings can be controlled and images taken can be transferred and saved on computer for tethering.
Wi-Fi Shooting: Images can be taken remotely using a compatible smart device using the camera’s Live View preview on the smart device to frame and compose the subject.
Note: Smart device is used to remotely fire the camera, maximum distance is up to 49 feet and the smart device can’t be used to adjust settings on the camera.
- OS: iPhone® and iPad®: iOS version 6.0 or later.
- Android: Android™ version 2.3 or later (smartphone), Android version 3.0 or later (tablet).
- Wi-Fi®: 11b/g/n (maximum range approximately 10-15m/33-49 ft).
iPad, Tablet & Smartphone Mounting Solutions
For mounting solutions for your iPad and/or Tablet, visit iPad & Tablet Mounting Solutions.
For smartphone mounting solutions specifically using the Look Lock System, click to read ‘5 Ways to Use the Tether Tools Look Lock‘.