If you’re after the full functionality that tethering your Sony Alpha series camera to Lightroom brings, then Tether Tools has the solution. In this article, we’ll guide you through the steps to set up tethering using your Sony Alpha series camera to Lightroom Classic.
Download Smart Shooter Software
In order to tether your Sony Alpha series camera to Lightroom, you need to download Smart Shooter. Once set up, Smart Shooter will only need to run in the background while you use Lightroom Classic to maximize your workflow. You’ll find having Smart Shooter running in the background is seamless and fast. We also offer a 30-day trial of the software if you would like to try it out.
The following setup is only required once and is fairly easy to do.
- Click on the Menu tab on your Sony camera.
- Find the PC remote function tab.
- Select the connect method to USB.
From within your newly downloaded Smart Shooter software, follow the steps below.
- Go to Preferences and click on the Lightroom tab and then click on Install Plug-in.
- Make sure you tick the checkbox in both the Enable Lightroom Tethering Connection and the Allow Lightroom Plug-in to Shutdown Application box.
- Click on Apply and then OK.
- Keep Smart Shooter running in the background in order to tether your Sony Alpha camera with Lightroom.
Adobe Lightroom Classic Setup
Open Lightroom Classic and follow the simple steps we’ve outlined below.
- Click on the File tab and open Tethered Capture.
- Click on Start Tethered Capture.
- Give your photoshoot a name.
- Give a name to the files you plan to import.
- Choose a location where you want to import the files to.
- Click OK.
In this setup box, you can also apply metadata and keywords to the images you intend to import. Once this setup is complete, Lightroom recognizes your Sony Alpha camera is connected. Camera settings will now be available and you can change them on your computer screen.
Tethering efficiently into Lightroom requires a fast and stable connection. To find a tethering cable suited to your Sony camera, have a look at our cable finder.
The Best Tethering Setup to Maximize Your Workflow
Even with the Sony A7R iv, with its impressive 61-megapixel sensor, image import is extremely smooth and quick. Full RAW files download with ease to your computer hard drive. A great benefit to tethering with the Smart Shooter plug-in is that it brings with it all the functionality you require, such as HDR, focus stacking, time-lapse, and many more much-needed features.
Improve Your Workflow With Your Sony Camera and Lightroom
Whether in your studio space or on location, Tether Tools has got your workflow needs covered. Once the easy setup is complete, you’re ready to plug in your Sony Alpha series camera to Lightroom and create the quality images you’re known for.
For improved workflow ability on location, make use of the Tether Table Aero System, which adjusts and fits your unique requirements. Keep your photography seamless and professional with our Tether Tools products.